Tuesday, July 5, 2011

London

I have been writing a blog post about the last week that has ended up being pretty long. I decided to split it up. Here is an short update on London which will be an intro for my next post to come in a couple days. 

London is another city with a lot of history and a lot to see. London is also an expensive city. However, the best things to see in London are free. The British Museum was a highlight. I enjoyed it even more than the Louvre in Paris. It is full of artifacts from every time period and every major culture. The very first artifact that one will run into as you enter the exhibits is the Rosetta stone. I could literally reach out and touch 4,000 year old statues—although, they don’t like it when we touch the artifacts. Another amazing and free museum was the Imperial War Museum. In this museum I could probably find almost every weapon, uniform, and vehicle used in the wars of the past century and a half. Both the British Museum and the Imperial War Museum cannot be fully experienced in a day or perhaps even in a week. Finally, since we had subway passes, my friend Ben and I decided to take a short trip outside the main city to Emirates Stadium, home of Arsenal FC. Even though the stadium stood bare, I enjoyed that opportunity to stand at the stadium of a world class team. For Ben, who is a diehard Arsenal fan, I think the trip was more than just enjoyable.  I am finding that tagging along with friends has proven to be a good way of discovering great things on this trip. I doubt that I would have gone to any of the places that I have mentioned if it wasn’t for just joining others. 




No comments:

Post a Comment